I never thought I would ever eat much less make vegan hot dogs. Well, I have now done both and I want to share the recipe, experience, input and video of me doing so.
First all, easiest recipe ever, only 3 ingredients – yes, only 3. The 3 ingredients are chickpea flour, ketchup and vegan mayo. You just mix them together to form a type of paste that allows you to form into shape of ‘dogs’. Super easy!
Now I am a pure breed American, raised in the south kind of gal. All about hotdogs and hamburgers. As a kid, I usually ate my hotdogs with ketchup, like most kids. As an adult, no more ketchup, I use mustard and love to add toppings. For example, Chicago hotdogs have some awesome toppings. When I decided to make vegan hotdogs, I had to create an awesome hotdog topping bar.
I followed the recipe to the tee, and they turned out good. However, I would change it up a bit as the vegan dogs were pretty dense. I would add a little bit of water, even though the recipe says not to, just so they are not so dense.
Here is the recipe for the vegan hotdogs along with a link to our Pinterest board for fun hotdog toppings. https://pin.it/6vd47wo
Vegan Hotdogs https://pin.it/OjCjujx
Makes 4 hotdogs
· Chickpea Flour – 1 cup
· Vegan Mayonnaise – 2 Teaspoons
· Ketchup – 3 Tablespoons
1. Take the chickpea flour in a wide bowl.
2. Add the ketchup and Mayo and knead the flour
3. Do not add any water. The flour should come together like a ball.
4. Shape the dough into hot dog shape.
5. Steam it for 10-12 minutes.
6. Insert a fork to ensure it is cooked all the way through.
7. Serve it with a hot dog bun and your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Be sure to try new toppings, go crazy!